Accessible housing options for people with disability
Having choice and control in where you live and who you live with is critical for people with disability. It supports wellbeing and active participation in our community. We will work more closely with people with disability and disability support services to improve access to and delivery of our products and services.
Under the Housing and Homelessness Action Plan 2021-2025 (PDF, 3466.73 KB), we are promoting rights, choice, control, accessibility and inclusion in housing with support, including actions to:
- co-design housing responses with people with disability and peak and expert organisations
- work with National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to help Queenslanders to access and maximise National Disability Insurance Scheme packages and Specialist Disability Accommodation
- work across government and the sector to deliver integrated responses that increase the diversity and supply of accessible housing.
We will also continue to grow housing options for people with disability by leveraging new housing supply through the Queensland Housing Investment Growth Initiative.
This is in addition to housing assistance already delivered during 2020-21:
- social housing to 35,286 people with disability
- $7.64 million to deliver disability modifications in social housing
- 73% of new social housing properties during 2020-21 being built to gold or platinum Livable Housing Design standards
- improved pathway planning with customers to better match or tailor products and services in collaboration with other support services
- targeted initiatives with Queensland Health to support people with disability to leave hospitals and aged care services
- partnership with Queenslanders with Disability Network to:
- improve services to people with disability by providing Easy Read Resources to understand the Queensland Government COVID-19 residential tenancies response measures
- support the department’s COVID-19 Emergency Housing Assistance Response by helping tenants and housing providers with information regarding NDIS
- work alongside the department and other partners to increase housing options and reduce homelessness.