Minimum Housing Standards
Minimum Housing Standards apply to new leases entered into from 1 September 2023.
Renters can have confidence their rental property is safe, secure and functional through prescribed Minimum Housing Standards which require:
- the premises to be weatherproof and structurally sound
- fixtures and fittings to be in good repair and not likely to cause injury to a person
- locks on windows and doors
- the premises to be free of vermin, damp and mould
- privacy coverings
- adequate plumbing and drainage
- functioning kitchen and laundry facilities (where supplied).
Minimum Housing Standards will apply to all tenancies from 1 September 2024.
Visit the RTA website for more information about about Minimum Housing Standards.
From 1 October 2022
Strengthened repair and maintenance obligations commenced from 1 October 2022 to support the staggered introduction of Minimum Housing Standards from 1 September 2023.
Tenants (residential tenancies) have 7 days to complete and return the entry condition report and tenants and property managers can authorise emergency repairs up to the equivalent of 4 weeks rent.